NoticeGlobal is a component for messages about events related to the work of the whole website.
The notice shall meet four criteria. If it doesn't respond to at least one, it's not a notice. Let's see the differences with Notice and NoticeBubble.
|Refers to the whole website.||❌||✅ ❌||✅|
|Global. Refers to pages/blocks/large components, not specific elements.||✅||✅ ❌||✅|
|Important. If the users do not read the notice, they will miss an opportunity or lose something.||✅||❌||✅|
|Temporary. Not a default block element. Appears and disappears under certain conditions.||✅||✅||✅|
Use global notice to tell about:
- a special mode of viewing a page, product, site (about admin or other rights on the page);
- an outdated browser version;
- messages relates to the work of the whole site (downgrade, technical work, etc.).
Use it for neutral messages about the whole website. Notice has
Use it for collecting feedback for the whole website. Notice has
Use it for success message concerning the whole website. Notice has
Use it for important but not critical errors/warnings concerning the whole website. Notice has
Use it for a serious error/problem message concerning the whole website. Notice has
Placement in the interface
- Place this notice always above the main Semrush header.
- Stretch it to the full width of the screen.
When global notice appears, it moves the entire page down.
Since the notice is a temporary message, it should have a preset "lifespan". The "lifespan" can be set by the following rules:
- number of days (for example, during the experiment);
- number of user sessions;
- event (completion of works, correcting bugs, moving features out of the beta);
- user action as a trigger (installed something, looked at it, fixed an error).
When you hide the notice, the entire page pulls up to the height of the closed component.
- Clicking on the close icon.
- Clicking on the link that causes the re-opening condition. For example, "Ask me later", "Never show again", etc.
- If there is no close icon or hide link, the user can't hide such notice. It will be hidden according to the conditions set by the service (after a certain time, certain number of sessions, after clicking on the trigger, etc.).
By clicking on the closing icon/closing link, the notice shall close smoothly with
fade-out of 250ms. The page content is pulled to the notice place within 250ms.
These are the notices that have their own rules and their styles differ from preset themes.
Notice with illustration
In special cases, you can add a thematic illustration to the message. For example, if technical work is expected on holidays, etc.
Keep in mind, however, that the extra accent notice on the page adds visual noise. Therefore, do not abuse the opportunity to add an illustration to this kind of message.
Two notices per page
Don't show more than one global message at a time. Below you can see an example of how you SHOULD NOT do.
In cases where a user on the site has two or more global messages to display, prioritize them.
- Higher priority for messages that require a response from the user or contain controls to close or exit a special mode.
- Messages without controls inside have lower priority. Show them after a user has interacted with a higher priority message.
Usage in UX/UI
- You can notify about the following: website mode (e.g., admin), system status (error, failure, end of works).
- Be concise – don't supersede other widgets and other report functionality. Try to convey the meaning of your message to users in one line.